Monday, January 14, 2008

10 Million Youth

10 million youth is a lot of youth! Did you know that number is only an estimate on how many die from preventable diseases? We had "World Help" come to our church last night. I thought that it would be good, but had no idea the impact it would have on my life, personally. I got a chance to eat some supper with a dozen or so kids from 9-11 years old from Asia, Africa, & the Phillipines. We laughed...ok they mainly laughed at me (it doesn't matter where ya from, I'm something to laugh at?!). They decided my name was to be Pastor Rabbit which morphed into Uncle Rabbit (they called their leaders uncles & aunts). Somehow Robbie sounded like Rabbit to them (or maybe they were Enimem fans?). We talked & I asked them the typical youthy questions, "what do you like...what do you do for fun...who picks their nose the most, etc". More than anything I learned that they each had unique life stories. Stories of abandonment, family deaths, lack of schooling, lost friends, but more importantly than all that....they had hope. Not the hope that tomorrow is going to be better, but the hope that comes from Christ...TOMORROW WILL BE BETTER, period. WoW.

They performed various songs for the community & were nothing but smiles. My wife & I sat on the front row with a handful of 412ers & were blown away. There was one girl inpartiticular that Annie & I met earlier. She was 9yrs old, from Africa. She had no family (due to the AIDS crisis). During the entire show she watched us like a hawk with big smiles between songs. After it was over, she ran into our arms & hugged us so tight. It took my breath away. She looked at me, deep into my eyes & said God bless you "uncle rabbit". Tears streamed down from my eyes (those who know me, know I don't cry often so don't say anything!).

As I type this blog today, I have to ask myself, self what are you doing today? Are you witnessing with all your might? Are you putting it all on line today? If an orphan that lost her parents in a third world country can proclaim Jesus...what excuse do I have? That cuts deep, but its a good cut because it examines my personal faith.

I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these . . . you did for me
-Matthew 25:40 NIV

No comments: