Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Am I Ready?

It's 2:15pm. The youth will begin to show up in 4 hours or less. They will be expecting to hear a powerful message that will change their life in new ways (at least that's what we youth pastors like to think anyways). I go back in time & reflect on individuals in the church that made an impact on me in various ways. I didn't realize it at the time, but they all pointed me to Christ Each showed me a different aspect of the Kingdom. 

For example: Kenn P. showed me the difference between relationship vs. religion. He continues to be a mentor, big brother, & infinite source of wisdom. Joseph showed me that you can't pray wrong. My mom taught me what it means to follow a vision. Bryan gave a sneak peak into leading a camp ministry. The Hobbs taught me that you have to be real to minister effectively. Sean showed me the importance of organization. Eastman showed me the business side of evangelism. Dr. Grimes taught me to watch MTV & VH1 to stay relevant. Kevin pointed out that student leadership is key. Mr. Sing taught me that games are a big part of any event & points are free. Kenn S. showed me that discipleship is a key component in youth ministry. Jaroy taught me to not let anyone still your joy in ministry. Dale has taught me what it means to be a volunteer. Last but not least, my beatiful wife showed me what it means to be a partner with one's vision.

Watching the clock tick away. Four & half hours till 412 starts. What will John Doe walk away from Pastor Robbie tonight? What will Jean Doe look back & say, "Robbie taught me.......". What if they don't get anything & it's just a "service". The Word of God is living, but we are the presenters..."Jesus with skin on" to people. What influence will I be making on this new generation tonight? What influence will you be making tonight? Are we ready?

1 comment:

Looney said...

Love ya Robbie! The Holy Spirit knows what you need to say and it will happen even if you think no one got it anyone who needs to get it will get it...